Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Book Report

The book I did my book report on, Picturing the Bomb, was about the Atomic Bomb. (BIG surprise, right?) More specifically, the Manhattan Project. It was an in depth coverage of what happened at the testing facilities, with a lot of first-hand photographs of the secret military bases and other big Manhattan Project-relevant sites. The entire book is packed cover to cover of what life was like for the members of the Manhattan project, how the bomb developed, and one incredibly mind-blowing picture (the only known picture of the Atomic Bomb test at Trinity- in color). There's actually a lot more than simple science and military details of the building of the bomb in this book- it actually talks about the lives of scientists and their families living at Atomic Bomb testing grounds. It goes into every minute detail about the project, leaving no spare detail. It's really interesting getting some fresh perspective on this era of history, and the pictures really paint a vivid tale of their own.

3 comments:

  1. I think I've read this boook too, but I can't remember exactly. Anyway, what really intersts me about the atomic bomb isn't so much the monumnental scientific advances behind it, or the to what extent it influenced the end of WWII, but whether anyone really thought they would use it. For instance, did the scientists working on the Manhattan Project think that their invention would kill millions? Maybe that's an impossible question, but neverless I think it would have an intersting anwser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting book choice Evan- seems like you chose a book really taps into your interests. Like Melissa alluded to, I feel like it would be very interesting to hear what the scientists had to say after the bomb was dropped.
    Where do we draw the moral lines in research? I feel like I remember watching a movie once that did interview the scientists who worked on this project- and from what I remember their feelings were more excited about their new discovery and not really considering the impact it could have.

    ReplyDelete